Skip to content

Junior Championship Round 1 vs St Pauls

Junior Championship Round 1 vs St Pauls published on

Multyfarnham 0-10
St Pauls 0-7
The first round of the Junior Championship was played on Sunday 25th May in Shandonagh. Multy were the second game up and kicked off against St Pauls at 6.30pm. It was a warm wet evening with the rain managing to stay away for the duration of the game. The pitch was holding up well after the first match and seemed to have very little if any water on it, in fact it was as near perfect conditions for a game of football as you could get, without the sun beaming down.
The game was always going to be a tight affair; Pauls were last year’s beaten Junior finalists and have not beaten Multy in the championship for quite a few years now. The midfield battle was key and it was here that the maroon and white brigade managed to exert some control. Enda Carter and Jason Tighe were having a right scrap with their opposite numbers, however they managed to marshal themselves and the men around them to ensure that Multy came out with the possession on the majority of occasions. The ball into the full forward line will need to be improved the next day as it was lacking a bit in the opening half for Multyfarnham. Still it did not stop man of the match Emmet Feerick who put on a shooting display that would be the envy of any forward in the county. In total he scored eight points with six of them coming in the first half. He was the real bane of the Pauls defence. At half time Multy were ahead by two points with Pauls being their own worst enemy after kicking an unforgivable ten wides.
The second half started with both sides losing key players Phillip Gilsenan from Pauls and Enda Carter from Multy went off injured. The game seemed to lose direction after that and did not really come alive again till the last five minutes despite St Pauls pulling level very early in the half. Anthony McGivney and Ian McGovern, who had tortured the Clonmellon sides defence all day, combined to set up Feerick again on the top of the right for a point which gave the lead back to Multy. Another free from Feerick and a forty five knocked over by Noel Kiernan in the last few minutes sealed it as Multy held out for the win.
Pauls Smith had an immense game in the backs proving himself a real safe pair of hands and a leader to boot. Chris Cannon was tireless working himself into the ground, Ger Feerick was a real dynamo latching onto ball after ball, Damien Grifferty was a hard man to get past when challenged and carried the ball very well going forward. Keith Read came off the bench for his championship debut and did well. Ciaran McCabe pulled off a number of top class saves to keep Multy in the game and his kick outs were top quality all day.
In general the entire team and bench played well, next up is Delvin which is yet to be confirmed.

Primary Sidebar